Preserving a landmark building and honoring
New York’s immigrant history
Opened in 1887, the magnificent Eldridge Street Synagogue on the Lower East Side of Manhattan was the first great house of worship built in America by East European Jews. Yet during the latter half of the 20th century, the synagogue fell into disrepair, its deteriorating structure requiring a major infusion of capital to save and restore it. A group of ardent preservationists launched the Eldridge Street Project to raise the necessary $18 million to recapture the synagogue’s former grandeur and establish a museum.
Geto & de Milly crafted and executed a campaign to engage key city, state and federal elected and agency officials to support restoration of the landmark synagogue. Our efforts secured $10 million in public investment—including from the New York City Council, Manhattan Borough President and State of
New York—for capital improvements and programmatic funding. Geto & de Milly also produced high-profile celebrations highlighting the restoration’s progress and generating significant media attention. Today, the synagogue has become the Museum at Eldridge Street—exquisitely restored and dedicated to educating future generations about this vital piece of immigrant and architectural history.
Museum at Eldridge Street – www.eldridgestreet.org